Pigeons are everywhere in Colorado, especially urban environments like Fort Collins, Boulder, and Denver. Dealing with nuisance and pest birds like pigeons and mud swallows presents unique challenges. While most pest animals in Colorado can be trapped and relocated, that is just not possible with pigeons and swallows. But birds can be just as much of a nuisance as skunks or raccoons.
These birds can quickly start causing problems when they start roosting on your property. For pigeons, problems include:
- Dropping – a single pigeon can produce up to a pound of feces in a single week. And the accumulated droppings can become a breeding ground for harmful fungus or bacteria. We clean up and sanitize all bird feces and restore the area impacted.
- Diseases – pigeons can carry several diseases including salmonella, histoplasmosis, and cryptococcosis.
- Other Pests – many pigeons are infected with fleas or mites that can spread to humans and pets living nearby.
- Noise – a group of roosting pigeons can make quite a bit of noise, especially early in the morning when you’re trying to sleep.
- Mud swallows share many of the above problems, but they also damage property when they build their mud nests under eaves, decks, and beams.
Removing Pigeons and Swallows
Because trapping and relocating is not an option when dealing with pigeons and mud swallows, the best option is to take away the birds’ roosting location. This process is referred to as exclusion or sometimes pigeon proofing – and involves making typical roosting locations uninhabitable for pigeons and mud swallows.
With pigeons, this means any flat services on your structure – including gutters, peaks, and beams. Mud swallows can be more difficult because they will build their nests under overhangs and other vertical services. The most common way to exclude these birds in Fort Collins is with pigeon spikes. These metal spikes are installed in the bird’s roosting area and prevent them from landing and building nests on your property.
Common home remedies like fake owls, noisemakers, and streamers are rarely effective at controlling pigeon or swallow infestations. They might work temporarily, but the birds will quickly overcome their fear and return to their usual nesting location.
If you are having a problem with one of these specific species of birds, please check these pages:
Professional Pigeon and Swallow Control
There is no magic solution for addressing a problem with pest birds in Fort Collins, but a professional wildlife pest control company can help you deal with unwelcome visitors safely and humanely. At First Choice Wildlife Services, we are highly experienced in removing pigeons and swallows from homes and businesses across the Front Range, including Fort Collins, Greeley, Boulder, and Denver.
If you are experienced problems with unwanted birds, including pigeons and mud swallows, you can contact us at 970-460-4044 if you need bird removal control services. We service the areas of Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, and Greeley in the state of Colorado, and we can help you with any problem you have.